Skip to main content

1742WesleyC

 

Works of art that mention ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) are extremely rare. One such work is the poem «Wrestling Jacob» (Come, O Thou Traveler Unknown) by Charles Wesley. 


  

Wrestling Jacob

1. Come, O Thou Traveler unknown,
Whom still I hold, but cannot see;
My Company before is gone,
And I am left alone with Thee.
With Thee all night I mean to stay
And wrestle till the Break of Day.
 

2. I need not tell Thee who I am,
My Misery, or Sin, declare;
Thyself hast call’d me by my Name,
Look on Thy Hand and read it there.
But who, I ask Thee, who art Thou?
Tell me Thy Name, and tell me now!
 

3. In vain Thou strugglest to get free,
I never will unloose my Hold;
Art Thou the Man that died for me?
The secret of Thy Love unfold;
Wrestling I will not let Thee go,
Till I Thy Name, Thy Nature know.
 

4. Wilt Thou not yet to me reveal
Thy new, unutterable Name?
Tell me, I still beseech Thee, tell,
To know it Now resolv’d I am;
Wrestling I will not let Thee go,
Till I Thy Name, Thy Nature know.
 

5. ’Tis all in vain to hold Thy Tongue,
Or touch the Hollow of my Thigh;
Though every Sinew be unstrung,
Out of my Arms Thou shalt not fly.
Wrestling I will not let Thee go,
Till I Thy Name, Thy Nature know.
 

6. What tho’ my shrinking Flesh complain,
And murmur to contend so long,
I rise superior to my Pain;
When I am weak then I am strong.
And when my All of Strength shall fail,
I shall with the God-man prevail.
 

7. My Strength is gone, my Nature dies,
I sink beneath Thy weighty Hand,
Faint to revive, and fall to rise;
I fall, and yet by Faith I stand,
I stand, and will not let Thee go,
Till I Thy Name, Thy Nature know.
 

8. Yield to me Now—for I am weak;
But confident in Self-despair:
Speak to my Heart, in Blessing speak,
Be conquer’d by my Instant Prayer;
Speak, or Thou never hence shalt move,
And tell me if Thy Name is Love.
 

9. ’Tis Love, ’tis Love!  Thou diedst for Me,
I hear Thy Whisper in my Heart.
The Morning breaks, the Shadows flee:
Pure Universal Love Thou art;
To me, to All Thy Bowels move,
Thy Nature, and Thy Name is Love.
 

10. My Prayer hath Power with God; the Grace
Unspeakable I now receive,
Thro’ Faith I see Thee Face to Face,
I see Thee Face to Face, and live;
In vain I have not wept, and strove,
Thy Nature, and Thy Name is Love.
 

11. I know Thee, Savior, who Thou art,
Jesus, the feeble sinner’s Friend;
Nor wilt Thou with the Night depart,
But stay, and love me to the End;
Thy Mercies never shall remove,
Thy Nature, and Thy Name is Love.
 

12. The Sun of Righteousness on Me
Hath rise with Healing in his Wings,
Wither’d my Nature’s Strength; from Thee
My Soul its Life and Succor brings,
My Help is all laid up above;
Thy Nature and Thy Name is Love.
 

13. Contented now upon my Thigh
I halt, till Life’s short journey end;
All Helplessness, all Weakness I,
On Thee alone for Strength depend,
Nor have I Power from Thee to move;
Thy Nature, and Thy Name is Love.
 

14. Lame as I am, I take the Prey,
Hell, Earth, and Sin with Ease o’ercome;
I leap for Joy, pursue my Way,
And as a bounding Hart fly home,
Through all Eternity to prove
Thy Nature and Thy Name is Love.

(1742WesleyJ_WesleyC;115-118)



 


External links

Wesley J, Wesley C. Hymns and Sacred Poems. Bristol: Felix Farley, 1742. archive.org

Authors & Affiliations

Charles Wesley (1707-1788), was an English Anglican cleric, hymnwriter. wikipedia.org

 

Charles Wesley 
Portrait by John Russell & Magnus Manske
;
original in the 
wikimedia.org collection (CC0 – Public Domain, no changes).


Commentary

The poem is written based on the verses of the 32nd chapter of the Book of Genesis (32:24-33).

24  And  he  took  them,  and  sent  them  over  the  stream,  and  sent  over  what  he  had.

25  And  Jacob  was  left  alone;  and  there  wrestled  a  man  with  him  until  the  breaking  of  the  day.

26  And  when  he  saw  that  he  could  not  pre  vail  against  him,  he  struck  against  the  hollow of  his  thigh ;  and  the  hollow  of  Jacob's  thigh  was  put  out  of  joint,  as  he  was  wrestling  with  him.

27  And  he  said,  Let  me  go,  for  the  day  hath  dawned.  And  he  said,  I  will  not  let  thee  go  until  thou  hast  blessed  me.

28  And  he  said  unto  him.  What  is  thy  name  ?  and  he  said,  Jacob.

29  And  he  said,  Not  Jacob  shall  any  more  be  called  thy  name,  but  Israel ;  for  as  a  prince  hast  thou  power  with  God  and  with  men,  and  hast  prevailed.

30  And  Jacob  asked  him,  and  said.  Tell  me,  I  pray  thee,  thy  name.  And  he  said,  Wherefore  is  it  that  thou  dost  ask  after  my  name  ?   And  he  blessed  him  there.

31  And  Jacob  called  the  name  of  the  place  Peniёl :  for  I  have  seen  an  angel  of  God  face  to  face,  and  my  life  hath  been  preserved.

32  And  the  sun  rose  unto  him  as  he  passed  by  Penuёl,  and  he  halted  upon  his  thigh.

33  Therefore  do  the  children  of  Israel  not  eat  the  sinew  which  shrank,  which  is  upon  the  hollow  of  the  thigh,  unto  this  day;  because  he  struck  against  the  hollow  of  Jacob's  thigh  on  the  sinew  that  shrank.  (from 1922LeeserI)


Leeser I. The twenty-four books of the Holy Scriptures. Carefully translated according to the Massoretic text, on the basis of the English version after the best Jewish authorities and supplied with short explanatory notes by Isaac Leeser. New York: Bloch Pub. Co., 1922. [archive.org]


Keywords

ligamentum capitis femoris, ligamentum teres, ligament of head of femur, mention, Bible, poetry, damage, injury


                                                                    

NB! Fair practice / use: copied for the purposes of criticism, review, comment, research and private study in accordance with Copyright Laws of the US: 17 U.S.C. §107; Copyright Law of the EU: Dir. 2001/29/EC, art.5/3a,d; Copyright Law of the RU: ГК РФ ст.1274/1.1-2,7


Imaginative Literature


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

1802PalmeraniÁ

   Palmerani Á , drawing Jacob wrestling with the angel (1802 ).  Depicting the circumstances and mechanism of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) injury based on the description in the Book of Genesis: 25 And Ja cob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 26 And when he saw that he could not prevail against him, he struck against the hollow of his thigh ; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was put out of joint, as he was wrestling with him. … 33 Therefore do the children of Israel not eat the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day; because he struck against the hollow of Jacob's thigh on the sinew that shrank.  ( 1922LeeserI , Genesis (Bereshit) 32:25-26,33) More about the plot in our work:  Ninth month, eleventh day   ( 2024 АрхиповСВ. Девятый месяц, одиннадцатый день ).     Ángel  Palmerani  – Jacob Wrestling with the Angel  ( 1802); original in the  a...

Human LCF intersection

HUMAN LCF INTERSECTION In the south of China, in the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region, the archaeological Neolithic site of Dingsishan was investigated. Burials of 355 people were found in this place. The authors of the article (2024YeZ_LiFJ) identified 91 skeletons with traces of manipulations with the remains. They are attributed to burials of the Dingsishan III-IV phase, aged 8.0-4.5 thousand years. 13 notches were found on the proximal part of various femurs. « Cutmarks on the femoral head, neck and intertrochanteric line, as well as along the medial linea aspera of the femoral shaft, suggest that soft tissue around the hip, including the iliofemoral ligament and the iliacus and adductor muscles, was severed to disarticulate the joint.» This and other postmortem bone injuries «... suggests that corpse treatment at Dingsishan included disarticulation » (2024YeZ_LiFJ).  Figure 4 of the cited article shows the distribution and direction of cutmarks on human skeletons from Dingx...

1614PagniniS

  Content [i]   Annotation [ii]   Original text (in  Latin) [iii]   English translation [iv]   Source  &  links [v]   Notes [vi]   Authors & Affiliations [vii]   Keywords [i]   Annotation Fragment from the book: Pagnini S. Thesaurus linguae sanctae, sive lexicon hebraicum (1614, Vol. 1). The author examines the translation into Latin of the term denoting ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) in Hebrew biblical texts. The text in Russian is available at the following link: 1614PagniniS . [ii]   Original text (in   Latin) Quote, p. 392 ניר  est Neruus Genesis 32.32 Idcirco non comedent (pro, comedunt) filij Israel  ניר   את   neruum. Et Iesah 48.4  וניד  & nerruus serreus ceruix tua: vel, secundum Rab. Dair. & virga ferrea: sic appellate, quòd nerui sint ceruice  בניד  in neruo Genes. 32.32. Iech 37.6. Et dabo super vos  צירים  neruos. Ijob 10. II ossibusq;...

1140St.Marie-Madeleine

  Basilica of Saint Mary Magdalene of Vézelay, capital s  – Jacob with the Angel (1125 – 1140).  Depicting the circumstances and mechanism of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) injury based on the description in the Book of Genesis: 25 And Ja cob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 26 And when he saw that he could not pre vail against him, he struck against the hollow of his thigh ; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was put out of joint, as he was wrestling with him. … 33 Therefore do the children of Israel not eat the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day; because he struck against the hollow of Jacob's thigh on the sinew that shrank.  ( 1922LeeserI , Genesis (Bereshit) 32:25-26,33) More about the plot in our work:  Ninth month, eleventh day   ( 2024 АрхиповСВ. Девятый месяц, одиннадцатый день ).     Basilica of Saint Mary Magdalene of Vézelay (1125 – 1140). Capital (...

2003IvanovYV

  Ivanov YV, panel, wood carving – Jacob Wrestling with the Angel (2003). Variant of depicting the  circumstances and mechanism of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) injury based on the description in the Book of Genesis:  25 And Ja cob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day. 26 And when he saw that he could not pre vail against him, he struck against the hollow of his thigh ; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was put out of joint, as he was wrestling with him. … 33 Therefore do the children of Israel not eat the sinew which shrank, which is upon the hollow of the thigh, unto this day; because he struck against the hollow of Jacob's thigh on the sinew that shrank.  ( 1922LeeserI , Genesis (Bereshit) 32:25-26,33) More about the plot in our work:  Ninth month, eleventh day   ( 2024 АрхиповСВ. Девятый месяц, одиннадцатый день ).     Ivanov Yuri Vitalievich – Jacob Wrestling with the Angel (2003);  im...

The First Scientific Mention

  European science has known the LCF for about 2500 years. It is the most important functional connection of the hip joint. The first person to describe the LCF was Hippocrates (c. 460-370 BCE). A written mention of the LCF is found in §1 of his treatise "On the Instrument of redactions". In our opinion, a book created in the library of the Asclepeion of the island of Kos. Hippocrates did not dissection of the human body, did not operate on the hip joint, did not have a CT scan and MRI. How he could discover the LCF? In our view, it is possible that Hippocrates treated a patient with an open hip dislocation. Track Music:  Blue Dot Sessions ,  Vittoro  (CC BY-NC 4.0 DEED / fragment) keywords: ligamentum capitis femoris, ligament of head of femur, ligamentum teres, hip dislocation .                                                     ...

Human Children. Retelling of Chapter 10

      Short retelling of chapter 10 of the essay: Arkhipov S.V. Human Children: The Origins of Biblical Legends from a Physician's Perspective. Joensuu: Author's Edition, 2025. [In Russian]  Chapter 10. THE ARK AND THE CAVE The Book of Genesis does not specify where Noah lived before the flood, but it is plausible his home was in the "land of Nod." To save his family and terrestrial animals, Noah builds an ark measuring "three hundred cubits" long, "fifty cubits" wide, and "thirty cubits" high, coated with pitch inside and out. The vessel has three decks, a pyramidal roof, a side door, and a window, likely at the top. Noah loads his wife, three sons with their wives, and representatives of birds, reptiles, and "clean and unclean cattle." The text lists some "passengers": Noah’s sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth, and mentions "beasts," "cattle," "creeping things," "flying creatures,"...

1899ParsonsFG

  An excerpt from the article by Parsons FG. The joints of mammals compared with those of man: a course of lectures delivered at the Royal College of Surgeons of England (1899, pp. 301-306). The paper discusses the anatomy and presence of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) in different animals. The author found in an experiment that in kangaroos, the LCF was stretched during hip extension. Below we publish an excerpt from the abstract and a critique of the lecture in the Lancet.   THEJOINTS OF MAMMALS COMPARED WITH THOSE OF MAN: A COUBSE OF LECTURES DELIVERED AT THE ROYAL COLLEGE OF SURGEONS OF ENGLAND. By F. G. PARSONS, F.R.C.S., late Hunterian Professor.   PART II.-JOINTS OF THE HIND LIMB. THE HIP JOINT. SOME of the chief points which attract attention in the hip joint of man are the three thickened parts of the capsule called the ilio-femoral, ischio-femoral, and pubo-femoral ligaments, as well as the intra-articular ligamentum teres running from the bottom of the ac...

Tweet of March 1, 2026

  Quotes from articles and books published in February 2025 mentioning the #ligamentum_capitis_femoris.  [En] https://roundligament.blogspot.com/2026/03/lcf-in-2026-february.html    [Ru] https://kruglayasvyazka.blogspot.com/2026/03/lcf-2026.html Tweet of March 1, 2026 #ligamentum_teres   #hip_joint   BLOG CONTENT TWITTER OR X                                                                            

Homo antecessor. Hip disarticulation

  HOMO ANTECESSOR. Hip disarticulation Postmortem separation of the leg from the pelvis in individuals of own species was performed by our evolutionary predecessors. In particular, this was done in the Homo antecessor community, which practiced cannibalism (2003TuttC). Ferna Y. et al. (1999) described evidence of intentional crushing of the femur diaphysis in a young individual (ATD6-76), presumably to extract bone marrow. The bone retained traces of not only several impacts by a striker, but also of an anvil on which the bone lay. The age of the said find in the Gran Dolina cave (Spain) is estimated at about 780 thousand years (1999FernaY_RosellJ). The above features indicate that the femur was initially separated from the soft tissues. In the second stage, the butcher had to use a stone tool to cut the muscles and strong external ligaments of the hip joint. In the next stage, he tore, or perhaps cut off, the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) to mobilize the hip and further manipul...