Skip to main content

1922LeeserI

 

A fragment of the Book of Genesis tells about the journey of the family of Patriarch Jacob from Charan to Canaan (Gen. 31:1 – 33:20). The translation into English from of the Masoretic Hebrew text of the Torah was done by Isaac Leeser (1922LeeserI). «Most scholars agree that the texts now found in Genesis began to be written down sometime after the establishment of the monarchy in Israel in the tenth century BCE» (1992SuggsMJ_MuellerJR). A selected passage from an ancient work mentions for the first time in history the injury of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) of a person is mentioned (Gen. 32:26,33). In the original Hebrew source this anatomical element is referred to as «גיד» (gheed, gid) (Bereshit 32:331923, 2004PreussJ; 2019ArkhipovSV_SkvortsovDV2020ArkhipovSV_ProlyginaIV). This term was recorded in writing long before Hippocrates of Kos (V-IV cent. BCE) who used the concept «νεῦρον» to designate LCF (1844LittréÉ). It is not known who exactly and why described the circumstances of its damage in the Book of Genesis. From our perspective, the composition was written around 1600 BCE, and the author consulted an unknown ancient Egyptian physician who composed the «Edwin Smith Surgical Papyrus» (1930BreastedJH; 2023АрхиповСВ).

We have examined chapters 31 – 33 of the Book of Genesis from the standpoint of modern medicine and have not identified anything supernatural in them. It seems that at least this part of the Bible can be recognized as an example of ancient Hebrew folklore. The journey from Charan to Canaan is on a par with the Mesopotamian «Epic of Gilgamesh»(1920JastrowM_ClayAT), and the ancient Egyptian «Tale of Two Brothers» (1898MoldenkeCE), but is more materialistic.

The Book of Genesis, Chapters 31 – 33, translated by Isaac Leeser (1922LeeserI):

CHAPTER  XXXI

1  And  he  heard  the  words  of  Laban's  sons, saying,  Jacob  hath  taken  away  all  that  was our  father's,  and  of  that  which  was  our  father's hath  he  gotten  all  this  wealth.

2  And  Jacob  beheld  the  countenance  of  Laban,  and,  behold,  it  was  not  toward  him  as  before.

3  And  the  Lord  said  unto  Jacob,  Return  unto  the  land  of  thy  fathers,  and  to  thy  birthplace; and  I  will  be  with  thee.

4  And  Jacob  sent  and  called  Rachel  and  Leäh  to  the  field  unto  his  flock.

5  And  he  said  unto  them,  I  see  your  father's  countenance,  that  it  is  not  toward  me  as  before ;  but  the  God  of  my  father  hath  been  with  me.

6  And  ye  know  well  that  with  all  my  power  I  have  served  your  father.

7  And  your  father  hath  deceived  me,  and  changed  my  wages  ten  times;  but  God  suffered him  not  to  do  me  evil.

8  If  he  said  thus.  The  speckled  shall  be  thy  wages ;  then  bore  all  the  flocks  speckled : and  if  he  said  thus.  The  ring-streaked  shall  be  my  reward;  then  bore  all  the  flocks  ringstreaked.

9  Thus  God  took  away  the  cattle  of  your  father,  and  gave  them  to  me.

10  And  it  came  to  pass  at  the  time  that  the  flocks  conceived,  that  I  lifted  up  my  eyes,  and  saw  in  a  dream,  and,  behold,  the  rams  which  leaped  upon  the  flocks  were  ringstreaked,  speckled,  and  grizzled.

11  And  an  angel  of  God  spoke  unto  me  in  the  dream,  Jacob :  and  I  said.  Here  am  I.

12  And  he  said.  Lift  up  now  thy  eyes  and  see,  all  the  rams  which  leap  upon  the  flocks  are  ring-streaked,  speckled,  and  grizzled ;  for  I  have  seen  all  that  Laban  doth  unto  thee.

13  I  am  the  God  of  Beth-el,  where  thou  anointedst  a  pillar,  where  thou  madest  unto  me  a  vow :  now  arise,  get  thee  out  from  this  land,  and  return  unto  the  land  of  thy  birth.

14  And  Rachel  and  Leäh  answered  and  said  unto  him.  Is  there  yet  any  portion  or  in  heritance  for  us  in  our  father's  house  ?

15  Were  we  not  counted  of  him  as  strangers? for  he  hath  sold  us;  and  he  hath  quite  consumed  also  our  money.

16  For  all  the  riches  which  God  hath  taken  from  our  father,  that  is  ours,  and  our  children's;  now  then,  whatsoever  God  hath  said  unto  thee,  do.

17  Then  Jacob  rose  up,  and  set  his  sons  and  his  wives  upon  camels ;

18  And  he  led  away  all  his  cattle,  and  all  his  goods  which  he  had  gotten,  the  cattle  of  his  acquiring,  which  he  had  gotten  in  Padanaram,  to  go  to  Isaac  his  father  into  the  land  of  Canaan.

19  And  Laban  was  gone  to  shear  his  sheep;  and  Rachel,  stole  the  images  that  were  her  father's.

20  And  Jacob  stole  away  unawares  to  Laban  the  Syrian,  by  not  letting  him  know  that  he  was  going  to  flee.

21  And  he  fled  with  all  that  he  had;  and  he  rose  up,  and  passed  over  the  river,  and  set  his  face  toward  the  mount  Gilead.

22  And  it  was  told  to  Laban  on  the  third  day  that  Jacob  was  fled.

23  And  he  took  his  brethren  with  him,  and  pursued  after  him  a  seven  days' journey;  and  he  overtook  him  at  the  mount  of  Gileäd.

24  And  God  came  to  Laban,  the  Syrian,  in  a  dream  of  the  night,  and  said  unto  him,  Take  thou  heed  that  thou  speak  not  to  Jacob  either  good  or  bad.

25  Then  Laban  overtook  Jacob;  now  Jacob  had  pitched  his  tent  on  the  mount,  and  Laban  with  his  brethren  pitched  on  the  mount  of  Gilead.

26  And  Laban  said  to  Jacob,  What  hast  thou  done,  that  thou  hast  stolen  away  unawares  to  me,  and  led  away  my  daughters,  as  captives  taken  with  the  sword?

27  Wherefore  didst  thou  flee  away  secretly,  and  steal  away  from  me ;  and  why  didst  thou  not  tell  me,  that  I  might  have  sent  thee  away  with  mirth,  and  with  songs,  with  tabret,  and  with  harp?

28  And  (why)  hast  thou  not  suffered  me  to  kiss  my  sons  and  my  daughters?  now  thou  hast  acted  foolishly  in  so  doing.  

29  It  is  in  the  power  of  my  hand  to  do  you  hurt ;  but  the  God  of  your  father  spoke  unto  me  yesternight,  saying.  Take  thou  heed  that  thou  speak  not  to  Jacob  either  good  or  bad.

30  And  now,  thou  wouldst  needs  be  gone,  because  thou  greatly  longedst  after  thy  father's  house ;   (yet)  wherefore  hast  thou  stolen  my  gods?

31  And  Jacob  answered  and  said  to  Laban,  Because  I  was  afraid,  for  I  said,  Peradventure  thou  wouldst  take  by  force  thy  daughters  from  me.

32  With  whomsoever  thou  findest  thy  gods,  let  him  not  live ;  before  our  brethren  seek  out  thou  what  is  thine  with  me,  and  take  it  to  thee ;  but  Jacob  knew  not  that  Rachel  had  stolen  them.

33  And  Laban  went  into  the  tent  of  Jacob,  and  into  the  tent  of  Leäh,  and  into  the  tent  of  the  two  maid-servants;  but  he  found  nothing ;  he  then  went  out  of  the  tent  of  Leäh,  and  entered  into  Rachel's  tent.

34  Now  Rachel  had  taken  the  images,  and  put  them  in  the  saddle-cushion  of  the  camel,  and  sat  upon  them ;  and  Laban  searched  all  the  tent,  and  found  nothing.

35  And  she  said  to  her  father,  Let  it  not  displease  my  lord  that  I  cannot  rise  up  before  thee;  for  the  custom  of  women  is  upon  me;  and  thus  he  searched,  but  found  not  the  images.

36  Now  Jacob  became  wroth,  and  quarrelled with  Laban  ;  and  Jacob  answered  and  said  to  Laban,  What  is  my  trespass  ?  what  is  my  sin,  that  thou  hast  so  hotly  pursued  after me?

37  Although  thou  hast  searched  all  my  goods,  what  hast  thou  found  of  all  the  articles  of  thy  household  ?  set  it  here  before  my  brethren and  thy  brethren,  that  they  may  judge  between  us  both.

38  These  twenty  years  have  I  been  with  thee :  thy  ewes  and  thy  she-goats  have  not  cast  their  young ;  and  the  rams  of  thy  flock  have  I  not  eaten.

39  That  which  was  torn  of  beasts  I  brought  not  unto  thee ;  I  had  to  bear  the  loss  of  it,  of  my  hand  didst  thou  require  it,  whatever  was  stolen  by  day,  or  stolen  by  night.  

40  (Where)  I  was  in  the  day  the  heat  consumed me,  and  the  frost  by  night ;  and  my  sleep  departed  from  my  eyes.

41  These  twenty  years  have  I  been  in  thy  house ;  I  have  served  thee  fourteen  years  for  thy  two  daughters,  and  six  years  for  thy  flocks :  and  thou  hast  changed  my  wages  ten  times.

42  Except  the  God  of  my  father,  the  God  of  Abraham,  and  the  Fear  of  Isaac,  had  been  with  me,  surely  thou  hadst  now  sent  me  away  empty ;  my  affliction  and  the  labour  of  my hands  God  hath  seen,  and  decided  yesternight.

43  And  Laban  answered  and  said  unto  Jacob,  The  daughters  are  my  daughters,  and  the  children  are  my  children,  and  the  flocks,  are  my  flocks,  and  all  that  thou  seest  is  mine ; but  as  to  my  daughters,  what  can  I  do  unto  them  this  day,  or  unto  their  children  whom  they  have  born?

44  And  now,  come  thou,  let  us  make  a  covenant,  I  and  thou;  and  let  it  be  for  a  witness between  me  and  thee.

45  And  Jacob  took  a  stone,  and  set  it  up for  a  pillar.  

46  And  Jacob  said  unto  his  brethren.  Gather  stones;  and  they  took  stones,  and  made  a  heap :  and  they  ate  there  upon  the heap.

47  And  Laban  called  it  Yegar-sahadutha; but  Jacob  called  it  Galed.

48  And  Laban  said,  This  heap  is  a  witness  between  me  and  thee  this  day ;  therefore  called  he  its  name  Galed ;

49  And  Mitzpah ;  for  he  said,  The  Lord  shall  watch  between  me  and  thee,  when  we  are  absent  one  from  the  other ;

50  If thou  shouldst  afflict  my  daughters,  or  if  thou  shouldst  take  other  wives  besides  my  daughters,  when  there  is  no  man  with  us :  see,  God  is  witness  between  me  and  thee.

51  And  Laban  said  to  Jacob,  Behold  this  heap,  and  behold  this  pillar,  which  I  have  cast  up  between  me  and  thee ;

52  Witness  be  this  heap  and  witness  be  this  pillar,  that  I  will  not  pass  by  this  heap,  and  that  thou  shalt  not  pass  unto  me  by  this  heap  and  this  pillar,  for  evil.

53  The  God  of  Abraham  and  the  God  of  Nachor  shall  judge  between  us,  the  God  of  their  father ;  but  Jacob  swore  by  the  Fear  of  his  father  Isaac.

54  Then  Jacob  slew  some  cattle  upon  the  mount,  and  called  his  brethren  to  eat  bread ,  and  they  did  eat  bread,  and  tarried  all night  on  the  mount.

CHAPTER  XXXII

1  And  early  in  the  morning  Laban  rose  up,  and  kissed  his  sons  and  his  daughters  and  blessed  them ;  and  Laban  departed,  and  returned unto  his  own  place.

2  And  Jacob  Avent  on  his  way,  and  there  met  him  angels  of  God.

3  And  when  Jacob  saw  them,  he  said,  This  is  a  host  of  God  ;  and  he  called  the  name  of  that  place  Machanayim.

4   And  Jacob  sent  messengers  before  him  to  Esau  his  brother  unto  the  land  of  Seïr,  the  country  of  Edom.

5  And  he  commanded  them,  sayong,  Thus  shall  ye  speak  unto  my  lord,  to  Esau,  Thus  hath  said  thy  servant  Jacob,  With  Laban  have  I  sojourned,  and  stayed  until  now.

6  And  I  have  acquired  oxen,  and  asses,  flocks,  and  men-servants,  and   women-servants ;  and  I  send  now  to  tell  my  lord,  to  find  grace  in  thy  eyes.

7  And  the  messengers  returned  to  Jacob,  saying,  We  came  to  thy  brother,  to  Esau,  and  also  he  cometh  to  meet  thee,  and  four  hundred men  with  him.

8  Then  Jacob  was  greatly  afraid,  and  he  felt  distressed  ;  and  he  divided  the  people  that  were  with  him,  and  the  flocks,  and  the  herds,  and  the  camels,  into  two  bands.

9  And  he  said.  If  Esau  should  come  to  the  one  band  and  smite  it,  then  the  other  band  which  is  left  may  escape.

10  And  Jacob  said,  0  God  of  my  father  Abraham,  and  God  of  my  father  Isaac,  the  Lord  who  saidst  unto  me.  Return  unto  thy  country,  and  to  thy  birthplace,  and  I  will  deal  well  with  thee:

11  I  am  not  worthy  of  all  the  kindness,  and  of  all  the  truth,  which  thou  hast  shown  unto  thy  servant ;  for  with  my  staff  I  passed  over  this  Jordan ;  and  now  I  am  become  two  bands.

12  Deliver  me,  I  pray  thee,  from  the  hand  of  my  brother,  from  the  hand  of  Esau ;  for  I  fear  him,  lest  he  will  come  and  smite  me,  the  mother  with  the  children.

13  And  thou  saidst,  I  will  surely  do  thee  good,  and  make  thy  seed  as  the  sand  of  the  sea,  which  cannot  be  numbered  for  multitude.

14  And  he  lodged  there  that  same  night ;  and  he  took  of  that  which  he  carried  with  him  a  present  for  Esau  his  brother :

15  Two  hundred  she-goats,  and  twenty  hegoats,  two  hundred  ewes,  and  twenty  rams,

16  Thirty  milch  camels  with  their  colts,  forty  cows,  and  ten  bulls,  twenty  she-asses,  and  ten  foals.  

17  And  he  delivered  them  into  the  hand  of  his  servants,  every  drove  by  itself;  and  he  said  unto  his  servants,  Pass  on  before  me,  and  put  a  space  between  drove  and  drove.

18  And  he  commanded  the  foremost,  saying, When  Esau  my  brother  should  meet  thee,  and  ask  thee,  saying.  Whose  art  thou?  and  whither  art  thou  going?  and  for  whom  are  these  before  thee?

19  Then  shalt  thou  say.  They  belong  to  thy  servant,  to  Jacob ;  it  is  a  present  sent  unto  my  lord,  to  Esau;  and,  behold,  also,  he  is  himself behind  us.

20  And  so  he  commanded  also  the  second,  also  the  third,  as  also  all  that  followed  the  droves,  saying.  After  this  manner  shall  ye speak  unto  Esau,  when  ye  find  him.

21  And  say  ye  moreover.  Behold,  also  thy  servant  Jacob  is  behind  us.  For  he  said,  I  will  appease  him  with  the  present  that  goeth  before  me,  and  afterward  I  will  see  his  face ;  peradventure  he  will  receive  me  kindly.

22  The  present  went  thus  on  before  him  and  he  lodged  himself  that  night  in  the  camp

23  And  he  rose  up  that  night,  and  he  took  his  two  wives,  and  his  two  women-servants,  and  his  eleven  sons,  and  passed  over  the  ford  of  the  Yabbok.

24  And  he  took  them,  and  sent  them  over  the  stream,  and  sent  over  what  he  had.

25  And  Jacob  was  left  alone;  and  there  wrestled  a  man  with  him  until  the  breaking  of  the  day.

26  And  when  he  saw  that  he  could  not  pre  vail  against  him,  he  struck  against  the  hollow of  his  thigh ;  and  the  hollow  of  Jacob's  thigh  was  put  out  of  joint,  as  he  was  wrestling  with  him.

27  And  he  said,  Let  me  go,  for  the  day  hath  dawned.  And  he  said,  I  will  not  let  thee  go  until  thou  hast  blessed  me.

28  And  he  said  unto  him.  What  is  thy  name  ?  and  he  said,  Jacob.

29  And  he  said,  Not  Jacob  shall  any  more  be  called  thy  name,  but  Israel ;  for  as  a  prince  hast  thou  power  with  God  and  with  men,  and  hast  prevailed.

30  And  Jacob  asked  him,  and  said.  Tell  me,  I  pray  thee,  thy  name.  And  he  said,  Wherefore  is  it  that  thou  dost  ask  after  my  name  ?   And  he  blessed  him  there.

31  And  Jacob  called  the  name  of  the  place  Peniёl :  for  I  have  seen  an  angel  of  God  face  to  face,  and  my  life  hath  been  preserved.

32  And  the  sun  rose  unto  him  as  he  passed  by  Penuёl,  and  he  halted  upon  his  thigh.

33  Therefore  do  the  children  of  Israel  not  eat  the  sinew  which  shrank,  which  is  upon  the  hollow  of  the  thigh,  unto  this  day;  because  he  struck  against  the  hollow  of  Jacob's  thigh  on  the  sinew  that  shrank.

CHAPTER  XXXIII

1  And  Jacob  lifted  up  his  eyes,  and  looked,  and  behold,  Esau  came,  and  with  him  four  hundred  men.  And  he  divided  the  children  unto  Leäh,  and  unto  Rachel,  and  unto  the  two handmaids.

2  And  he  put  the  handmaids  and  their  children  foremost,  and  Leäh  and  her  children  after,  and  Rachel  and  Joseph  hindermost.

3  And  he  himself  passed  on  before  them,  and  bowed  himself  to  the  ground  seven  times,  until  he  came  near  to  his  brother.

4  And  Esau  ran  to  meet  him,  and  embraced  him,  and  fell  on  his  neck,  and  kissed  him;  and  they  wept.

5  And  he  lifted  up  his  eyes,  and  saw  the  women  and  the  children ;  and  said,  Who  are  these  with  thee  ?  And  he  said,  The  children  whom  God  hath  graciously  given  thy  servant.

6  Then  came  the  handmaids  near,  they  and  their  children,  and  they  bowed  themselves.

7  And  Leäh  also  with  her  children  came  near,  and  they  bowed  themselves ;  and  after  that  came  Joseph  near  and  Rachel,  and  they  bowed  themselves.

8  And  he  said,  What  meanest  thou  by  all  this  drove  which  I  have  met?  And  he  said,  To  find  grace  in  the  eyes  of  my  lord.

9  And  Esau  said,  I  have  enough,  my  brother,  keep  unto  thyself  what  thou  hast.

10  And  Jacob  said,  This  must  not  be,  I  pray  thee ;  if  I  have  but  found  grace  in  thy  eyes,  then  do  thou  receive  my  present  at  my  hand;  since  I  have  seen  thy  face,  it  is  as  though  I  had  seen  the  face  of  an  angel,  and  because  thou  hast  received  me  kindly.

11  Take,  I  pray  thee,  my  present  that  is  brought  to  thee;  because  God  hath  dealt  graciously  with  me,  and  because  I  have  a  plenty  of  all.  And  he  urged  him,  and  he  took  it.

12  And  he  said.  Let  us  depart,  and  move  farther,  and  I  will  travel  near  thee.

13  And  he  said  unto  him.  My  lord  knoweth  that  the  children  are  tender,  and  the  flocks  and  herds  with  young  are  a  charge  on  me : and  if  they  should  overdrive  them  one  day,  all  the  flock  would  die.

14  Let  my  lord,  I  pray  thee,  pass  on  before  his  servant :  and  I  will  lead  on  slowly,  according as  the  cattle  that  goeth  before  me  and  the  children  may  be  able  to  travel,  until  I come  unto  my  lord  unto  Seïr.

15  And  Esau  said.  Let  me,  I  pray  thee,  leave  with  thee  some  of  the  people  that  are  with  me.  And  he  said,  What  needeth  it?  let  me  only  find  grace  in  the  eyes  of  my  lord.

16  So  Esau  returned  that  day  on  his  way  unto  Seïr.

17  And  Jacob  journeyed  to  Succoth  and  built  himself  a  house,  and  for  his  cattle  he  made  booths;  therefore  he  called  the  name  of  the  place  Succoth.

18  And  Jacob  came  in  good  health  to  the  city  of  Shechem,  which  is  in  the  land  of  Canaan,  when  he  came  from  Padan-aram;  and  he  encamped  before  the  city.

19  And  he  bought  the  parcel  of  the  field,  where  he  had  spread  his  tent,  at  the  hand  of  the  children  of  Chamor,  the  father  of  Shechem,  for  a  hundred  kessitah.

20  And  he  erected  there  an  altar,  and  called  it,  El-Elohe-Yisrael.


References

Leeser I. The twenty-four books of the Holy Scriptures. Carefully translated according to the Massoretic text, on the basis of the English version after the best Jewish authorities and supplied with short explanatory notes by Isaac Leeser. New York: Bloch Pub. Co., 1922. [archive.org]

Suggs MJ, Sakenfeld KD, Mueller JR (Eds). The Oxford Study Bible. Revision English Bible with Apocrypha. New York: Oxford University press, 1992.  [pdfdrive.com]

Littré É. Oeuvres complétes d'Hippocrate / traduction nouvelle avec le texte grec en regard, collationne sur les manuscrits et toutes les editions; accompagnée d'une introduction, de commentaires médicaux, de variants et de notes philologiques; suivie d'une table générale des matières, par É. Littré. A Paris: chez J.-B.Baillière, 1844; T.IV, 341-345. [books.google]

Jastrow M, Clay AT. An Old Babylonian Version of the Gilgamesh Epic: On the Basis of Recently Discovered Texts. Yale University Press, 1920. [archive.org]

Moldenke CE. The tale of the two brothers, a fairy tale of ancient Egypt; the d'Orbiney papyrus in hieratic characters in the British Museum. Watchung: The Elsinore Press, 1898. [archive.org]

Breasted JH. The Edwin Smith Surgical Papyrus: published in facsimile and hieroglyphic transliteration with translation and commentary in two volumes. Chicago: University Chicago Press, 1930. [oi.uchicago.edu , archive.org Vol 1  , archive.org Vol 2]

Bereshit, Chapter 32:33 [chabad.org]

Preuss J. Biblical and Talmudic Medicine. Transl. and ed. by Dr. F. Rosner. New York [etc.]: A Jason Aronson Book, Rowman & Littlefeld Publishers, 2004. [books.google]

Preuss J. Biblisch-talmudische Medizin. Berlin: Verlag von S. Kargen, 1923. [archive.org]

Arkhipov SV, Skvortsov DV. Ligamentum capitis femoris: first written mentions. MLTJ. 2019;9(2)156–64. [researchgate.net(PDF) , mltj.online]

Arkhipov SV, Prolygina IV. Ancient Textual Sources on Ligamentum Teres: Context and Transmission. MLTJ. 2020;10(3):536-546.  doi:10.32098/mltj.03.2020.27  [mltj.online , mltj.online(PDF) researchgate.net 

Архипов С.В. Дети человеческие: истоки библейских преданий в обозрении врача. Обновляемое электронное эссе, снабженное ссылками на интерактивный материал. Йоэнсуу: Издание Автора, 2023; версия 1.0.0. (Arkhipov S.V. Children of Human: The Origins of Biblical Legends in the View of a Physician. Updatable e-Essay with Links to Interactive Material. Joensuu: Author's Edition, 2023; Version 1.0.0 – 259 p. [In Russian]) [books.google]  


Keywords

synonyms, ligamentum capitis femoris, ligamentum teres, ligament of head of femur, Bible, anatomy, Torah, animals

                                                                     

NB! Fair practice / use: copied for the purposes of criticism, review, comment, research and private study in accordance with Copyright Laws of the US: 17 U.S.C. §107; Copyright Law of the EU: Dir. 2001/29/EC, art.5/3a,d; Copyright Law of the RU: ГК РФ ст.1274/1.1-2,7

MYTHS AND MISCONCEPTIONS 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

4cent.Gothic Bible

  About the Book of Genesis of the Gothic Bible (4th century). A Gothic term that may have been used to refer to the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) of an animal and a human. See our commentary at the link: 4cent.Gothic Bible [Rus]. Quote [ Got ] Genesis 32:33 (possible term;  original source  lost) Translation [Eng] Genesis 32:33 The original text and English translation are currently unavailable to our project. Suggested term: … gabinda ( gabundi) … The closest analogue is in the Epistle to the Colossians 2:19 — jah ni habands haubiþ, us þammei all leik þairh gawissins jah gabindos auknando jah þeihando wahseiþ du wahstau gudis. — καὶ οὐ κρατῶν τὴν κεφαλήν , ἐξ οὗ πᾶν τὸ σῶμα διὰ τῶν ἁφῶν καὶ συνδέσμων ἐπιχορηγούμενον καὶ συμβιβαζόμενον αὔξει τὴν αὔξησιν τοῦ θεοῦ . — And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God. (original source: wulfila.be ; Codex Ambrosianus? Milan, Bi

2018FreitasA_BandeiraVC

  The authors reported a case of open hip dislocation and documented avulsion of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) from the acetabulum.  The injured LCF appeared as a large cord-like structure, attached to the femoral head ( Fig. 1 ). Perhaps Hippocrates of Kos saw such an LCF in open dislocation of the hip and described it in his treatise «Mochlicus» ( 1886AdamsF ). One year later, the patient's x-ray revealed a significant narrowing of the joint space in the upper part of the hip joint ( Fig. 9 ). In our opinion, this to be a consequence of hyaline cartilage wear due to overload in the absence of LCF. In an unaffected hip joint, the width of the radiological joint space at the upper section than in the lower section ( Ossification of the LCF ). When examined one year after the injury, the patient could stand on one leg. We noticed that his body was excessively deviated towards the supporting hip joint, and the opposite half of the pelvis was elevated ( Fig. 8 ). This is a me

1875BrauneW

  We present a study dedicated to the experimental investigation of the function of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF). Wilhelm Braune established that the LCF prevents hip supination and adduction, especially during flexion. In the conclusion of the study, the author writes: "It also remains to determine in which body movements this ligament function plays a role, as it is currently unclear why the femur requires a special fixing device…". Apparently, Wilhelm Braune did not have time to find the answer, since his outstanding monograph on LCF does not say a word ( Braune W, Fischer O. Der Gang des Menschen (1895 books.google ) . Based on our own experiments on mechanical models and research, we believe that adduction and supination of the hip, along with flexion, are observed at the beginning of the single-support period of the step. At this moment, tension occurs in the LCF, allowing to reduce the load on the upper segment of the femoral head. The LCF is also stretched in

927-942Arabic Bible

  Fragment of the Book of Bereshit   translated into Arabic by Saadia Gaon  ( 927-942 ) . The Arabic text contains mentioned to ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) of an animal and a human. See our commentary at the link: 927-942ArabicBible [Rus].  Quote [ a ra] التكوين  32:32 (original source: 1653WaltonB, p. 145) See also modern editions:   لذلك لا يأكل بنو اسرائيل عرق النّسا الذي على حقّ الفخذ الى هذا اليوم . لانه ضرب حقّ فخذ يعقوب على عرق النّسا (original source: arabicbible.com )  لِذَلِكَ لا يَاكُلُ بَنُو اسْرَائِيلَ عِرْقَ النَّسَا الَّذِي عَلَى حُقِّ الْفَخِْذِ الَى هَذَا الْيَوْمِ لانَّهُ ضَرَبَ حُقَّ فَخْذِ يَعْقُوبَ عَلَى عِرْقِ النَّسَا (original source: copticchurch.net ) Translation [Eng] Genesis 32:32 Translation of the text is currently unavailable for our project. The term for the LCF:  النّسا   ~  sciatica  ( see also: 70-110Rufus Ephesius ; 180-238PolluxJ ) Saʻadia ben Joseph . Pentateuch ( 1600) , p. 1  ( original:  digital.library.yu.edu ) External links Saʻadia

2016ArkhipovaAS Classification of Joints with Flexible Elements.

  Classification of Joints with Flexible Elements The classification of joints with flexible elements was first proposed by A.S. Arkhipova in 2016 and presented at conferences in 2016-2017 ( 2017АрхиповаАС ). Joints with flexible elements are divided by the author into detachable and non-detachable, three-axis, two-axis, and single-axis. Each can contain in various combinations one or more external and internal flexible elements - analogs of joint ligaments, including the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF). Conditional designations of joints with flexible elements using the example of a ball joint: Detachable ball joint with an internal flexible element Non-detachable ball joint with an internal flexible element Detachable ball joint with an external flexible element Non-detachable ball joint with an external flexible element Detachable ball joint with both internal and external flexible elements Non-detachable ball joint with both internal and external flexible elements Flexible e

1879MorrisH

  Fragments of the book Morris H. The anatomy of the joints of man (1879) dedicated to ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF). The author discusses the anatomy of the LCF and describes his experiments to study its movement.   Quote p p . 318-319 The acetabulum is partly articular, partly non-articular. The articular portion is of horseshoe shape, and extends inwards from the margin, more or less. It is altogether deficient at the cotyloid notch, which corresponds with the gap of the horseshoe. It is the widest at the iliac part, where it is over one inch from without inwards; then it very gradually gets narrower along the ischium, but widens out again at the ischial end of the cotyloid notch ; forwards from the pubo-iliac suture it narrows more rapidly, and does not extend quite up to the pubic end of the cotyloid notch. At its narrowest point in an adult bone it measures half an inch in width. When coated with cartilage, and fringed round with the cotyloid ligament, it fits very closel

DIAGNOSTICS AND EXAMINATION

  DIAGNOSTICS AND EXAMINATION   (Diagnostic, examination and testing methods... ) Catalog. LCF Pathology Tests   Tests for the detection of pathology LCF.  2004VialleR_GlorionC  The article discusses the examination technique for dislocation of the femur and describes the radiographic symptom of infringement of the damaged LCF. BLOG CONTENT

150-250Targum Jonathan

  Fragments from the Targum Jonathan on Genesis. Tractate was written between about 150 - 250 in lend of Israel. The text is a combination of a translation and commentary on the book of Bereshit. The unknown compiler mentions ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF) in an animal and an episode of its damage in a human. See our commentary at the link: 150-250Targum Jonathan [Rus]. Quote 1. [Heb] Genesis. 32:33 (original source:  sefaria.org ) Quote 2. [Heb] Genesis. 43:16 (original source:  sefaria.org ) Translation Quote 1. [Eng] Genesis. 32:33 Therefore, the sons of Israel eat not the sinew which shrank, which is in the hollow of the thigh of cattle and of wild animals, until this day; because the Angel touched and laid hold of the hollow of the right thigh of Jakob, in the place of the sinew which shrank. (Transl. by J.W. Etheridge (186 2 ) ; original source: targum.info ) Quote 2. [Eng] Genesis. 43:16 And Joseph saw Benjamin with them: and he said to Menasheh whom he had made superintende

1679DiemerbroeckI

  Fragments from the book Diemerbroeck I. Anatome corporis humani (1679). The author describes the pathology variants, function, topography and attachment of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF). The damage to the LCF in hip dislocation, symptoms and treatment are discussed. The text is similar to a paraphrase of Hegetor's work «On Causes» and Galen of Pergamon's commentary on Hippocrates' treatise «On Joints» ( 1745CocchiA ;  2020ArkhipovSV_ProlyginaIV ). Isbrand van Diemerbroeck uses many synonyms for LCF: nervus cartilaginosus, terete, teres, rotundum ligamentum, interius ligamentum. Quote p. 593. [Lat] CAPUT XIX. De Ossibus Femoris, & Cruris. Superius procesum crassum, versus coxendicis os prominentem, eique epiphyin rotundam & amplam impositam habet, sicque globosum femoris caput, valida cervice subnixum, constituit, quod cartilagine obductum in coxendicis acetabulum reconditur, in eoque duobus validis ligamentis detinetur: uno lato, crasso, & membranoso,

2014ArkhipovaAS

  In 2014, at the International Olympics Space for school students, Alexandra Arkhipova presented a report on the feasibility of using joints with flexible elements in walking machines. The author was recognized as the overall winner (more details: cyclowiki.org ). The report suggested: «An important area of possible application of walking robots would be remote exploration of other planets». Ten years later, professionals from NASA began to put this idea into practice: Robot dog trains to walk on Moon in Oregon trials (more details: bbc.com ). Below we present the text of the first message about walking machines in space, the ball joint of which contains a flexible element - an analogue of the ligamentum capitis femoris (LCF).   Mobile biomorphic platforms with analogues of natural locomotion algorithms Arkhipova A.S. For ten years of its mission, American wheeled Mars rover vehicle 'Opportunity' covered just 40 kilometers through the Red Planet, and its twin Spirit go